(This also makes a great dressing!)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 6 or more leaves of fresh basil- chiffonade or tear up leaves
- 6 or more leaves of fresh mint- chiffonade or tear up leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
1. Place all ingredients into a jar.
2. Secure lid and shake it up.
3. Keeps in the fridge for at least a month.
- Zucchini- cut in half lengthwise and into chunky 1” half moons
- Eggplant- if it is an Asian eggplant, cut the same as zucchini. If it is a globe eggplant, cut in 1/3 or ¼ lengthwise and make similar sized chunks to the zucchini. No need to peel the eggplant!
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and massage the eggplant pieces. Set in a colander to drain. This pulls bitter compounds from the eggplant (which are also said to be slightly toxic). They should drain while you prepare the other veggies. Squish them out and rinse them.
- Red onion- cut in half through the core and then wedged into 8 wedges per side.
- Red, yellow or orange (or a mix) bell peppers- seeded and cut into rough triangles or thick strips
- Optional- quartered mushrooms or strips of portobello
- Julie's Suggestion - I would also try organic tempeh if you want some good quality plant protein :-)
1. Pour marinade over veggies (be generous- you don't have to use it all though).
2. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes- or until veggies are softened. The eggplant should be soft enough to squish between your fingers. (Undercooked eggplant is not pleasant!)
3. Serve as a veggie side, toss into pasta or place on top of freestyle polenta! It is also delicious cold, as a roasted veg salad.
These are great as skewers as well (veggie kabobs).
- Add cherry tomatoes.
- Marinate veggies on skewers in a Tupperware container or Pyrex dish.
- Put on the BBQ or roast in the oven.
- Leftovers are delicious as a cold roasted veggies salad or antipasti
Andrea Potter, Rooted Nutrition.
Cooking classes, workshops, holistic nutrition counseling
Julie Beyer is a Holistic Chef and Educator in Vancouver, BC. She is the creator of the GLOW Collection a line of organic, dairy, sugar & gluten free snacks that bring out your natural GLOW. She is currently studying to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition.
of Everyday Healthy and Get the GLOW!